Denied at Hearing – Now What?
A denial at the hearing is not your last option to try and obtain your supplemental security income (SSI) or social security disability insurance (SSDI).
The next step could be to take your case to the Social Security Appeals Council. It is highly recommended that you secure an experienced disability advocacy group at this point if you have not already done so, in order to help you determine the best course of action for you and your case.
The Next Step
If the administrative law judge (ALJ) during the hearing denies your benefits, an advocate will present your case to the Social Security Appeals Council. This council was established to review the decision of the ruling of the judge during your hearing. They have the power to overturn the judge’s ruling.
This process is far more challenging than any previous attempts to gain the benefits you deserve.
The appeals council has a few options to determine the fate of your disability claim. It is possible that the council will:
- Approve your benefits claim
- Deny your benefits claim
- Send your claim back to an ALJ so that you can have another hearing.
If they send back your claim to an ALJ for a hearing, this gives you another opportunity to receive SSI, SSDI or both disability benefits that can change your life.
More Important Information about The Application Process
Other Applying For SSDI FAQs:
- Can Citizens Disability help with my application?
- Does this process take as long as I’ve heard about?
- What is the “Compassionate Allowance” for SSDI?
- Can I receive both Medicare and Social Security disability benefits?
- Do I receive compensation while I wait for my approval?
- If I am denied, should I reapply?
- How long does it take for an initial application to be decided?
- What happens during the reconsideration stage?
- At which stage do I require an advocate?
- Should I give medical updates to the disability authorities throughout the appeals processes?
- Are there any costs to me during the appeals process?
- What is Form SSA-827?
- What is Form SSA-1696?